So you want to make an OC?: A Masterpost of Ways to Create, Develop, and Make Good OCs!
i made this masterpost in hopes that it helps you in making your own OCs ah;; it can also apply to developing RP characters i suppose! if you’d like to add more resources then go for it sugar pea (´ヮ`)!
How to Write Better OCs:
- basic tips on how to make your oc even better
- tragic backstory? learn how to write one/make yours great
- writing specific characters
- a wordier, great guide on how to develop your character
- kick out those vague descriptions and make them AWESOME
- how to actually make an OC
- Q&A (to develop characters)
- more Q&As
- giving your character a backstory
- how to write an attractive character
- adding more racial diversity
- avoiding tokenism, AKA, how to add diversity to your cast not just because you “need” it
- writing sexuality and gender expression (doesnt include non binary, if you have a good ref to that, please add on!)
- masterpost on writing more diversity into your story
- cultures of the world
- guides to drawing different ethnicities (not just a great art reference, but also really helpful in appearance descriptions!)
Mary Sue/Gary Stu
- Test to see if your character is a Sue
- Explains subdivisions of Sues/Stus
- Powerful Characters Don’t Have to Be Sues
- villain generator
- need an evil sounding name for your evil character? bam
- villain archetypes
- what’s your villain’s motive for being a villain?
- character perceptions (What your character thinks of themselves and what others think of them)
- how to write strong relationships between two characters
- 8 ways to write better characters and develop their relationships with others
- OCxLove Interest Handbook
- develop your couple with good ol’ Q&A!
- how to write realistic relationships
- how to write relatives for your characters (this is more OC related to a canon character, but will help in writing family members in general)
- 12 common archetypes
- 8 archetypes for male/female characters
- female archetypes (goes pretty indepth from two main categories)
- a list of archetypes
- tips for better design
- basic appearance generator
- pinterest board for character design (includes NSFW and images of skeletons/exposed muscle (?) so tread carefully!)
- clothing ref masterpost
- give your character better powers
- a list of professions
- proactive vs reactive characters
- positive and negative traits
- interest generator
- skills generator
- motivation generator
- 123 ideas for character flaws
- list of phobias
again, this is to help inspire you or help establish your OCs! i hope you get a lot of info and help from this ahh ( ´ ▽ ` )ﾉ
Really the only way to learn to draw is just to… do it!? But Here’s some super good references for you. Hope they helps!
Distance Learning Art Classes (Some are free, some are not… you can even get art credit from some of them for college!)
Here’s also some cool Youtubers who talk about art! Personally for me, besides literally drawing myself, watching others draw is the best way for me to learn something.
btw If you really do want to learn to animate, don’t follow my advice just read this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/5445343/the-animators-survival-kit-richard-williams
HOLY SHITTTTT A PDF OF THE ENTIRE GODDAMN BOOK!!!! EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO LEARN TO ANIMATE SHOULD READ THIS
a lot of people asked about necks but i don’t much to say so i covered a little of the muscles too HERE”S A MORE DETAILED muscle diagram if you’re interested! don’t overwork the neck muscles bc in a lot of people they actually don’t rly show up at all ALSO I tend to draw longer necks out of habit ,some people have shorter necks
REAL LIFE REFS ARE THE BEST GO STARE AT SOME NECKS
its been a while since I’ve done anything with tutorials ahhh also my explanations started to die out because I don’t have a lot to say to describe each one. If this helps you, I’m glad. But I would say to just springboard from this! get loose with your poses and have fuuuuun
See these torture devices? This is what I have to deal with when I get too excited/overloaded with work and I draw and draw and draw with no regard for the warning aches in my wrists.
I know a lot of other artists suffer from tendonitis/carpal tunnel syndrome, and webcomic artists are especially prone to it since we spend a lot of time hunched over keyboards too. (I’ve noticed typing seems to aggravate it more than drawing.)
Here are some tips I have learned the hard way:
- Don’t assume the pain will “go away eventually” and just keep drawing. Trust me, it will not. It’s only downhill from here. The pain means you’ve already injured yourself. Take a break.
- If you do press on anyway, you’ll have to wait longer to heal. When I first had my doctor see me, he said to take a minimum two week break from drawing and typing. If you are like me, that’s like asking me to stop breathing for that long. Do you want to die?? Do you?? I didn’t think so. Put the pen down and take a break.
- It takes a LONG time to heal. It took me about two years to stop feeling the effects when I messed my wrists up really bad the first time.
- Once you feel better, the instinct is to immediately jump right back into drawing/typing/whatever activity caused your repeated stress injury (hey I’m not judging) but be careful not to overdo it and hurt yourself all over again! It’s not like a videogame health bar that always replenishes back to full. I’ve noticed that once I got tendonitis, it never fully went away, and the more often I induced it with bad habits, the sooner it comes back after doing the same amount of drawing. Pay attention to your activity and to your body telling you it’s time to stop before it hurts.
- This video of wrist exercises helped reduce my pain a lot, and is also good for preventing it in the first place.
Take care of yourself, artists. Your hands are your livelyhood. Don’t take them for granted!
Oh gosh I will try
I do basic closed mouths like
altered pretty easily for parted lips
You can put as much or as little definition into your teeth as you like, but I go about halfway
And remember that it’s dark inside mouths, and that there’s a tongue in there. I’m terrible at tips, I’m sorry! Polararts has a much better tutorial haha.
Naw, teeth are helpful~ I forgot to mention how to do those. xD
lmao no matter what you do dont ask me to explain this hehe